Saturday, May 6, 2017

Inspired By #55 with Heidi Shafer

Hello and welcome to Inspired By All The Little Things
This is a weekly inspiration challenge blog and each week 
we feature a wonderful designer who inspires us as an artist!


This week I have invited my friend


I met Heidi online through the Papertrey Ink forum and challenges. 
Then last year, we started doing a challenge together that encouraged us
to use our stamps that we'd purchased but hadn't inked up yet.
I asked Heidi to share a bit about herself...

1. What is the name of your blog? When and why did you start it?

Mapleberry Musings is the name of my blog.  I began on Jan 1, 2011 although I had it for two years before I made my first post.  Thankfully, I finally pushed through the fear and paralyzing perfectionism to just start!  Our previous home had three huge maple trees and we grew blackberries and strawberries out front.  We called it Mapleberry so I wanted to use that in my blog name.  I liked how the word "musings" implied thoughts, contemplation, or reflection.  It worked perfectly for leaving the possibilities open of what I could share.  Plus, the muses in classical mythology are goddesses of the arts!  I started my blog to share my creations with like-minded souls, keep a record with photos and details, and participate in challenges and blog hops.

2. What is your style of card making?

Clean lines, simple layering, and color probably defines my style best.  I love a bit of sparkle too!  I enjoy cute and elegant images alike.  I often use embossing folders and dies on my cards, but I'll break out the scissors for fussy cutting anytime.  It's very therapeutic.  

3. Who inspires you as a designer?


Tough question.  I follow over a thousand stamping blogs in Feedly, because I love to see what other people make, so it's hard to narrow that down.  Jennifer McGuire is always an inspiration because of her techniques, tutorials, and simple designs.  You can see a card I made that was directly inspired by her.  I adore the creations of Betsy Veldman and would own all of her stamp set designs if I could.  I love her vintage vibe!  I also admire the shabby romantic style of Melissa Phillips and grungy/mixed-media style of Julee Tilman.

4. What sort of things inspire you as a card maker? 
Photos? Sketches? Other designers?


Sketches usually.  Sometimes it's a photo or the creation of another stamper.  Often I just pull out things I want to use and start playing.  My design process is slow, so I'm glad I have a studio where I can leave works in progress on my desk.  When I get stuck, I go do something else for a while.  Then I come back, work on it, get stuck, leave again, return and tweak it some more...whatever it takes.  I love to listen to music when I create.  It always flows easier when I do!
5. Share something about yourself that we may not know?

I love to perform in musical theatre whenever it fits into my family's schedule.  There's nothing else quite like being on stage.  I performed professionally in an Andrews Sisters tribute group for three years (2010-2013).  It was a lot of fun!  I also sing in my city's Symphony Chorale doing classical works.  Music is in my blood and I can't imagine a world without singing! 

Here is Heidi's card using this week's inspiration!


The challenge designers have also created a card for this week's inspiration! 
These ladies just inspire me SO much!!! 
I hope you will play along with us this week! We would love to have you join us!

Kimberly Lackenbach

LauraJane 


Laurel Seabrook (Guest Designer)

Marcie Sharp
 Sharp Designs


Sheri Gilson

Silke Ledlow

Wanda Cullen

And, here is my card:

We hope you will play along with us!

The linky will close on Friday, May 12th at 11:55am. (PST)

Some simple rules to keep things organized and enjoyable:
  • Please use the graphic for your post and link back to this post.
  • Any posts that are offensive will be removed.
  • Please comment on the submissions of others...we all love the support!
  • Yes you can combine with other challenges but NOT other inspiration challenges please.
  • Have fun and challenge yourself!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards by the DT and guests. I especially love LauraJane's card. So beautifully coloured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These designs form the team are SO AMAZING! I love all this color and cheer!
    Take care!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very happy to play along. Lovely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All so beautiful and cheerful!! Would love to play along!

    ReplyDelete